*

website statistics

Monday, February 8, 2010

The London Free Press votes for Steam Whistle


I don't follow beer. I used to like my beer but as the price for a brewski went up and up my consumption went down and down. Today beer is a treat. No brewery will stay in business because of me.

That said, I used to buy Labatt whenever I did buy beer. It was brewed locally and it made me feel that I was supporting local workers. I still have a Blue, if it is available on tap, when I am out at a pub as I was Sunday.

But the Labatt brewery is now owned by AmBev, the fourth-largest brewing operation in the world. Buying Labatt does not come with the same feel-good-buying-Canadian aura it once did. Still, I was surprised to read this recommendation in a recipe in The London Free Press, the Labatt hometown paper: "1 bottle (355ml) Pilsner beer ( Steam Whistle's a good choice)"

Mixing a Pilsner into a recipe is a great leveler. No need to waste one's favourite beer when it is about to be altered with addition of "BBQ seasoning". I was surprised to see the hometown paper wasn't supporting the hometown beer.

And then I realized that The London Free Press is owned by Sun Media and Sun Media is a Toronto-based outfit. The article, written by the Sun's Rita DeMontis, was simply supporting an award-winning, local Toronto brewery.

It's nice to see a paper supporting local business when possible. Nice work Toronto Sun.

1 comment:

  1. IMO supporting Labatt's doesn't mean much these days. I'd prefer to support any number of the amazing Ontario Miro Brews (http://www.ontariocraftbrewers.com/)! Most produce beer that is better, by leaps and bounds, then anything coming from a mass produced brewer.

    Also if you've ever tried Steam Whistle you'll know why it's recommended. It has a very distinct bold flavour. And the folks down there kick butt, worth a trip to see them!

    ReplyDelete